Monday, June 5, 2017

A trip to Alexandria - Latin Project

Rome to Alexandria:



Today me, Ba Yek, and my master, Brutus, woke up. We went to the forum and bought some bread, cheese, and dried meats to prepare for our journey, but only enough for the trip because my master said he wanted to, "Experience the culture." While there we met with one of my master's friends, a senator. They discussed things like, "What type of carriage we were we taking, where we were going, if the senator could do anything for us?" These questions my master answered, while I sat on a pillar and waited for 30 minutes. Alexandria was our destination, specifically the lighthouse there, because my master was to map out the Mediterranean and it's many wonders. He is a cartographer, a man who makes maps, and the Senate instructed him to make a map of the land for 1000 denarii, that is a lot of money. We were to take a wagon for the mainland and a small ship over the sea. I was extremely excited, why shouldn't I have been, it's where I'm from. We hired a carriage and set off that day. First, we traveled to Palinurus on our rickety, loud carriage, I shouldn't complain, I'm a slave, but it was awful. At Messana, we boarded the Dreadful Whale, which deserves its name by the way, and sailed for what seemed like years, but was only a couple of days. In total we traveled for 30 days, my master mapping our journey the entire time, me just eating our food and watching the horizon for a sign of civilization. It only cost us a measly 3 denarii. Then, we arrived at Alexandria.

No comments:

Post a Comment