Monday, June 5, 2017

Giza

The Pyramids of Giza:



We traveled from Alexandria to Memphis, a city nearby the Pyramids, by donkey. It only cost us one and a half denarii, a price my master was more than willing to pay. My donkey's name was Osiris after the Egyptian god, but I just called him Osi. We stayed with our donkeys for only two days and then boarded at a traveler's stop. We had some of our beer and spiced bread before heading out the next morning to Giza. There wasn't much to see on our journey except for the dunes and oasis that lie on the horizon, so I just slept. We finally arrived at the Pyramids, and they were spectacular, throughout the entire trip this was my favorite place. The shininess made it look like it was the sun on the ground in all its glory. Its shape was also intriguing, a pyramid, you never see that in Rome. My master, on the other hand, wasn't focusing on the outside, I could see him vigorously sketching what he thought the insides would contain. Was it a tomb, an alien race, maybe even an advanced civilization? For me it was none of these things, I thought it was just made of stone on the inside. We stayed there for at least 5 hours before my master, and I were ready to leave the Pyramids of Giza. I then rode Osi back to Memphis where we then stocked up at the market with some more beer, which I developed a taste for, spiced bread, and some salted meat. I than had to part with my beloved donkey Osi and we rejoined the Dreadful Whale for another journey, this time to the Temple of Artemis.

No comments:

Post a Comment